Saturday, June 16, 2012

Leilani....the homeschool teacher?

So, for a really long time I’ve felt like public schooling wasn’t the thing for me. Especially not at the middle-school and high-school levels. I’ve already accepted that I went through it and not only did I survive, but I learned a lot in the process. That is all fine and well, but I still think that my learning experience would have been greatly enhanced had I been given an alternative. Yes, I did learn to grow in social aspects. Yes, I did have many character-forming and life-changing experiences; all which I am thankful for. But I still wonder how much more knowledge I could have right now, how much more I could have enjoyed learning if I hadn’t been constantly trying to dodge all the extra stuff that comes with public education.

 
(hmmm...)

Anyway, I don’t know if I will ever be able to accurately express with words my true feelings about this. I don’t even have my true feelings very well sorted out yet. Maybe I’ll write a book about it one day when I’m feeling really inspired. But right now, I’m done ranting. I have something really exciting to tell:

This morning my aunt came over so I could give her some art tips on these pieces that she’s working on (she’s been trying to replicate some paintings that my mom has up on our walls for months, and it is just the cutest thing ever. I love her!) and we ended up talking about how her daughter is entering kindergarten real soon and how it’s going to be difficult considering my cousin is very, um, spoiled (for the lack of a better word) and also doesn’t speak very well for her age. I asked my aunt if she’d ever considered home-schooling and she said she hadn’t but that she was trying each day to teach her very basic things like numbers and colors.

She must have sensed my enthusiasm right away because she proposed that I be a tutor for the summer. She offered to pay me if she could drop off my cousin every day for about a month so that I could teach her! I wouldn’t be so excited about this if it weren’t for my recent mommy-blog obsession. Also, I’m not the most patient with children and in fact, I get worn out by them real quick. But a few weeks before school ended I had the opportunity to be an art teacher to 2nd graders for a day and I loved it. I’m excited about this because I like being creative and I also, admittedly, love any opportunity that I have to rub-off some of my more ~free-spirited~ tendencies on little children. It’s just a thing that I do. (Shh..don't tell their parents!)

I am a little bit nervous about how all this will work out. But I plan to take full-action and soak up as much as I can from this experience to see where it will take me next. Who knows…maybe I’ll like it enough to become a full-time (art) teacher one day! But just kidding….*cringe*.

xx


No comments: